CBA welcomed more than 140 accepted students and their families to a reception on Monday, Jan. 19.
Brother Joseph Jozwiak, FSC addressed the sixth graders, who came from various Catholic, public and private schools in Central New York. Seniors Tom Benz (Cicero) and Mary Frances Ierlan (Fayetteville) offered first-hand accounts of the CBA student experience (see their speeches in their entirety below).
“The best part of CBA is the people, and everyone here is just humbly trying to be better,” said Benz who attended schools in the Cicero-North Syracuse school district, before coming to CBA in seventh grade.
“I have met new people and expanded my comfort zone,” Ierlan, who attended elementary school at Immaculate Conception in Fayetteville, said. “I have gained a sense of community and family within teams and clubs. I have learned how to manage my time and how to work with others.
“If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn’t change a thing,” Ierlan concluded.
The accepted students visited with several faculty members on hand, signed up for an upcoming Brother For A Day shadowing experience, purchased CBA apparel, posed for photos at a photo booth and enjoyed refreshments, thanks to the Parents Club. Members of the CBA orchestra, under the direction of faculty member Muriel Bodley performed.
Nine students were recognized as CBA Academic Scholars, each receiving a scholarship based on outstanding entrance exam results and an excellent academic record. Scholarship winners included:
- Madeleine Bartlett from Immaculate Conception School in Fayetteville
- Julia Fletcher from Onondaga Hill Middle School in Syracuse
- Bianca Gascon from Ray Middle School in Baldwinsville
- Thomas Homik from Immaculate Conception School in Fayetteville
- Kate Janczyk from St. Mary’s Academy in Baldwinsville
- Corinne Kleiner from Holy Family School in Syracuse
- Michael Schaefer from Immaculate Conception School in Fayetteville
- Rena Steele from Immaculate Conception School in Fayetteville
- Leah Tabor from Holy Cross School in Dewitt
For more photos of the reception, like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cbasyracuse