Belief in a loving God, one who has called every person to reflect this love in everyday life—especially caring for the vulnerable and the poor—has long been a tradition at Christian Brothers Academy.
To make this tradition more personal and tangible,there is a Christian Service requirement of 32 hours for seniors as a prerequisite for graduation.
How Does it Work?
Each student is allowed to choose an area of service that fits his/her particular interest. However, this service must be direct service to those in need or those most vulnerable in society (such as the poor, elderly, disabled, sick). We are following the mandate of the Spiritual and Corporal Works of Mercy.
Support service for volunteer agencies (fundraising, clerical work and maintenance) is admirable work but does not fulfill CBA’s expectation for this requirement.
Senior Service Notes
- Students may begin their service upon completing their junior year.
- Students may serve at sites other than those on the list of Volunteer Opportunities
- It is the student’s responsibility to make clear to the agency that only direct service to the needy is permissible.
- Each student will make a proposal for a specific service using form one, to be handed in before service begins.
- At least 16 hours of service must be completed and verified by the end of the first semester. All service must be complete and verified by May 1. Remember to take the verification form with you when you finish your service so a supervisor can sign it.